Monday, July 4, 2011

The “Angry Old Man” Rocks

Prelude:
For those of you who do not enjoy Indian Cinema, I would suggest you skip this post…

The highlight of the weekend was watching the onscreen antics of Amitabh Bachchan (AB) in the movie Bbuddah Hoga Tera Baap. I walked in to the movie hall with mediocre expectations but walked out with a large grin that is yet to wear off 24 hours later. AB has proven yet again as to why he is considered an icon in the Indian film industry.


If you look at the movie as a whole, it is not well written, jerky and even the acting by the rest of the cast is not worth mentioning. One can argue that apart from Prakash Raj (Who plays the main baddie) and Sonu Sood (the cop) the rest do not have enough screen time in a movie that is solely focused on AB.

I bow before you Mr. Bachchan because only you could have done justice this role of Viju that has shades of Rajinikanth, Chiranjeevi, Mithun, Govinda and your own “Angry Young Man” all rolled into one. The frames of your sunshades and costumes in the movie were an assault on my retina but you still managed to carry them with panache! Some of the one-liners in the movie will definitely continue to be heard at many auditoriums, cafes, corridors and classrooms for a few years at the least.

Side Story:
My wife and I were mischievously involved in some verbally sparring on our way to the movie. We kept saying  “Bbuddah Hoga Tera Baap” to each other. Then it occurred to me that I had a defense.  You see my mother’s name is Sheela and a recent song about her youth (Jawani) has just been doing the rounds and by association, my father cannot be considered old.  Ha ha ha!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    I have great respect for this man too. His best all-round(except hardcore action) performance is seen at KBC. I don't like him in the films Buddha hoga Tera Baap etc.

    Great actors are best in their work if they convert themselves as per Story. Check the movies as like : Milie, Abhiman, Kabhi Kabhi, Deewar.

    When Stories are written for Actors, it's difficult to come out with their best performance.

    Good actors loves to vanish in the shadow of the character of story.

    ReplyDelete