Wednesday, August 1, 2018

VIP on the train!

We often read stories of highhanded behaviour by our elected representatives in our country. I wanted to share a short experience that was contrary to this and thought it is important to share. We are always happy to vent out our frustration and anger but reluctant to spare time to pass on a compliment.

It was last Sunday afternoon and the Shatabdi express from Mysore to Chennai (via Bangalore) was all set to leave at 1420 hours. After spending the weekend with my parents who live there I was returning with my wife and 2 sons. For those of us who frequently travel between Bangalore and Mysore driving on that road can be a nightmare and as such the train service is an absolute blessing.

I had booked seats for us in the Anubhuti class which features the new upgraded coaches of the Indian Railways. As I boarded the train and moved towards our seats, I realized that someone was seated in one of the seats. He was wearing a simple traditional attire and was lost in something that he was reading. Suddenly I was nudged by a gentleman from behind and when I looked at him he said, “If that is your seat find another one.” His tone was not that of a request but that of an order. I was irritated but I calmly told him that I was travelling with my family and sitting separately was not an option. He then said, you sit with your wife and the kids can sit behind. My reply remained the same, I have a reservation and would prefer to sit with my kids. I was firm in my reply and started placing my bag in the overhead shelf.

The gentleman seated in our seat heard me and immediately got off the seat and said, “You should sit with the family, I can sit on another seat.” He smiled at me as I said thank you and went to his assigned seat that was a couple of rows behind. It was only then that I realized that he was Mr. G T Devegowda, the current minister for Higher Education of Karnataka.

His simple act of being so courteous needs to be appreciated. The person who was insisting that I give him that seat was a police constable assigned to him. I am writing this just to highlight his simplicity and would like to thank him for leading by example. May there be more leaders like him. Thank you Sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment